Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Yummy Yummy In My Tummy!

Finding a caterer has by far been the most difficult wedding task we’ve encountered. We knew we wanted simple comfort food preferably of the Mexican variety. Easy peasy right? Yea, not so much. Many of the catering companies we reached out to either declined to work with a small party like our or required a minimum order that we were unable to reach. I quickly became discouraged and handed the task to my mom and proceeded to ignore it for next month.

Lucky for me I have a resourceful mother. She managed to get me a referral for a local restaurant that specialized in food from the Yucatan region in Mexico which just so happens to be the region that my mother’s from and they offered special events catering! Now before I go on allow me to share with you the tastiness that is Yucatan food. The food is a delicious mix of Mexican, Lebanese and Myan cuisines it is unlike any other Mexican food and it’s the cuisine that I grew up enjoying. Needless to say we were all excited at the prospect of finding a caterer that could provide food authentic Yucatan food for our wedding.

Since the restaurant was local we decided to head over for a Sunday lunch with the family to see if the food was authentic and get the seal of approval from mom. The food was amazing we feasted on Cochinita, Pibil, Kibis and Panuchos and everything was perfect.

Source

I called up the catering manager the next day and had a pleasant conversation with her regarding our event and possible menu options. She seemed more than willing to work with our small guest count and budget and was genuinely excited about our event. The catering weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I was doing a happy dance! I ended my conversation with the caterers with the understanding that I would follow up with her the following week to nail down menu details and sign a contract all was good in the Cotton Candy household we had a caterer!

I never talked to the restaurant again. Call after call on my part went unanswered and none of my messages were ever returned. Sad doesn’t even begin to describe how I felt after being dissed by yet another caterer. They weren’t just another caterer they were the perfect caterer for us and they dissed us they dissed us hard.

I’m not going to lie to you friend’s ugly tears were shed over our lost caterer and I was less than enthusiastic to begin my search again but I did and we eventually found another caterer that we both love. Hive say hello to Soho Tacos!

source

Soho Taco isn’t what you would typically consider wedding food which is ok in our book. They are a gourmet taco catering company that specializes in Mexican tacos catering with a gourmet twist. For our wedding we’ll be going with their premium package which includes our choice of 2 meats and 2 seafood’s, grilled vegies, beans, rice, assorted salsa and guacamole. We’ve also added mine burritos and chile rellenos for our cocktail hour, an assortment of aqua frescas and Mexican sodas, and bartending service.

I’m really happy with our final catering decision, the caterers will be serving tacos for a total of 3 hours which we hope will contribute to the party atmosphere to our wedding and the cost per person is just right for our budget!

Tell me Hive did you get burned by a vendor only to end up with a better deal?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Vee!! Thanks for the mention & the opportunity!! We certainly hope to live up to your expectations. Anything we can do to make your day extra special, just let us know!

    Rico
    Soho Taco | Gourmet Taco Catering
    http://www.sohotaco.com

    ReplyDelete